Thursday, May 15, 2008

T.P.R.

The letters, T.P.R. stand for temperature, pulse, respiration. That's what nurses did all the time when I was working in a hospital. We had regular times when we went around taking everyone's temperatures, pulses, and respirations. The more critical patients had their T.P.R.s done more often.
In between times, I wrote. I was editor of the school newspaper in my first year of nursing school.
My love of story telling began when I was a pre-teen and helped to watch a toddler. Another girl and I would make up stories to entertain him.
In junior high school I had a column in the school paper I named "Flash". I went around every month and tried to get information and news to put into my column. In high school I helped out on the year book staff. I loved my English lit. class.
In college, after nursing school I took quite a few English and writing classes, which I enjoyed.
Life gets busy, as you know, and the next time I began to write was when I ripped the tendon in my knee. I was working at a nursing home at the time and the halls were long. The work stopped and I began to read some of the Harlequin books. One day I decided to try writing one. That was a happy day because I found I enjoyed making up stories and characters almost more than I enjoyed reading about them. I wrote a couple short stories and had them published in a nurses magazine. They asked if I would write articles and I did that, too.
That comes down to the T.P.R. I write mostly, but not entirely, about nurses and doctors. I write short stories, novels, and some poetry, too.
I'm looking forward to having a short story in a magazine soon.
I wrote a long story about six girls going through nursing school in the 1950s and am trying to decide what to do with that. I might break it up into smaller stories. Next time, I'll try to tell you more about the nurses.
Have to go for now.

No comments: