Saturday, September 11, 2010

9-11. Today, the nation hangs its head in prayer. Years ago I wrote a little poem that I felt at the time and would like to share it with you.

Free
by
Annabelle Ambrosio
As I lay beneath my oak tree,
And gazed into the sky,
How peaceful was my home life,
No troubles, thought I.
The nails held down my shutters,
The chimney worked all right,
All was "peace" and secure,
Through the stillness of the night.
Then along came my neighbor,
And warned me of a plight,
"They're chewing beneath your foundation,
Working quietly with all their might."
The sounds, the signs, were only foolishness,
I told him with triumph,
No great threat to my fine home,
Of love, and peace, and warmth.
I could not be bothered to look for them,
Or protect my foundation more,
For the windows were down,
The glass was clean,
And I had shut the door.
So today I lie here gazing,
Beneath my old oak tree,
Out toward my shaky timbers,
My home that was "Brave and Free."
And I wonder why I hadn't seen them,
Hadn't heard their cries,
As they were chewing my foundation,
Beneath my very eyes.

No comments: