Sunday, July 5, 2009

FOURTH OF JULY, 2009

Yesterday was the birthday of our country and in this part of the U.S. the weather was nice for celebrations. Some people in my family were working since they are in retail or food industries. It seems like they are working all the time, which is a good thing in this economic climate I suppose. I was very happy to have a day when there was quiet in the house so I could write a short story, send it off to a publisher, read a little and watch the spectacular Macy's fireworks. My grand-daughter took her little one to Busch Gardens where they also had some firework celebrations. They both looked beat when they came back and especially the little one. I think that her little legs must get very tired doing all that walking and she's too big for Mommie to carry around. Dad, in retail, had to work and he's the number one barbeque operater here so we didn't have that this year, but it will be another day.
On the serious side of the Fourth, our country has been a refuge for people all over the world who want freedom and a better way of life and for this reason I cannot understand why some people want to tear it apart. Of course we have problems and make mistakes. That's to be expected. No one in this world is perfect. But, when something isn't right, why not work to make it better?
I think we should be proud of our country, proud of the red, white, and blue, defend it from the negative forces who would like to destroy it and protect our freedoms. My husband always said this was the greatest country in the world. He was from Italy and had been to some of the European countries as well as South America, but he never wanted to leave the U.S., not even for a vacation. If people from other countries love the U.S., then shouldn't we love our country, too? I'm very grateful to have been born in a country where I was free to go to school, to read, write, vote, work and yes-blog.
Happy birthday U.S.A.

No comments: